Why is Back to School an Important Time?
The back-to-school season is an exciting yet stressful time for everyone across all communities. However, for the refugee community, the costs of school supplies, transportation and/or school fees, and uniforms present a challenge for many of our families.
Furthermore, the return to school can cause additional anxiety for refugee parents who are not familiar with our school system or who have trouble actively participating in their child’s education because they are not native English speakers. It can also be difficult for students who have missed years of school and are trying to catch up academically and learn a new language at the same time.
At Friends of Refugees, we want to be a support system for the refugee community and address these obstacles.
How Can You Be Involved?
- Can I donate school supplies?
- At this time, we are NOT accepting any in kind donations like school supplies. However, we are accepting gift cards.
- Why are you only accepting gift cards?
- It can be difficult to accurately predict the highest needs items. Gift cards allow us the freedom to buy what is needed most and thus best serve the needs of the community.
- What gift cards are you accepting?
- How do I send you the gift card?
- You can mail it to us at Friends of Refugees, PO Box 548, Clarkston, GA 30021. Many stores also allow you to buy gift cards online. You can email us electronic gift cards to email@example.com
We are a 501(c)(3) organization and are able to take donations that are tax deductible including gifts of stock, vehicles, business interests, and real estate. If you have any questions please let us know!
*If you would like to donate stock, please contact Kelly Downs for more information.