To become a Friends of Refugees volunteer, you must complete the following three steps, in no particular order. We encourage you complete the first two steps before attending an orientation, but it is not required. Refugees trust us at Friends of Refugees and, therefore, trust that the people we bring into their lives are trustworthy, passionate, and dedicated, as well. These steps must be completed before you can begin volunteering:
- COMPLETE A VOLUNTEER APPLICATION (includes references)
- The volunteer application is extensive and necessary, as we take working with refugees very seriously. It allows us to learn more about you and to place you in a volunteer role that aligns with your passion and skill. You will indicate which volunteer opportunity or opportunities you are interested in. Click Here to complete the Volunteer Application.
- COMPLETE AN ONLINE BACKGROUND CHECK
- Our vendor for background checks is Protect My Ministry. Each person pays for his or her own background check ($24.95) and the results come directly to the Volunteer Coordinator at Friends of Refugees. Your personal information is protected and secure at all times. Click Here to complete your background check.
- ATTEND VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION
- Orientations are held twice a month, usually the second Saturday of the month from 9:30-11:00am and the last Tuesday of the month from 6:00-8:00pm. Orientation is held on the second floor of our building (1001 Rowland Street, Clarkston, GA 30021. We rent a building from the Clarkston International Bible Church). Click Here to register for orientation.
After you finish the application, complete a background check and orientation, the Coordinator will review your application and obtain your references. Once you are approved to start, we will send your contact information to the Program Director in the area where you would like to volunteer. The Program Director will contact you to schedule your first volunteer day!